Sunday, 1 July 2012

rooibos tea with rum truffles.



I'm no fan of rooibos or red bush, or whatever you want to call it. It tastes like sticks to me and smells like the discarded water from boiled peas. I'd rather go thirsty than suffer this appalling drink, but others find it refreshing for some reason. Richard always drinks it post-caffeine curfew after 6pm, which I've always found strange, as he usually has such excellent taste. You probably like it too. Everybody else seems to. Feeling that perhaps it was time to concede defeat and bow down to majority rule, I served rooibos to the R party alongside rum truffles. I went thirsty.

Rum truffles

50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
50ml single cream
1 tsbp light muscovado sugar (optional)
A forkful of dark rum
A knob of butter (to help set the forkful of rum)

Melt the sugar into the cream over a gentle heat, stirring until it has fully dissolved. Stop stirring and scald the cream before pouring over the chopped choc. Leave to stand for one minute before stirring in with a rubber spatula until you are left with a smooth, glossy ganache. Add dark rum to taste - try to restrain yourself from going too overboard or else your ganache won't set. Stir in the butter until it's melted and leave to cool completely and set. You can pop it in the fridge to speed things up if you like. Roll teaspoon sized balls between your hands before rolling in sifted cocoa and serving.

4 comments:

  1. "I went thirsty."

    Considering the amount of wine at Alphabet Soup, I bet you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok you'll hate me too then, because I do love rooibos. I feel it tastes very similar to black tea, but is caffeine-free which I avoid in the late afternoon also because I end up not sleeping even if I have a drop of green tea or a slice of tiramisu at night, urgh. I love the sound of these truffles!! anyway, first time here, came over from the nom nom nom blog, yum and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is further proof that it's me that's the weirdo for hating the stuff! Everybody else loves it, but I think it's got a really odd taste. So pleased you found my blog and I hope you'll keep reading. Thanks x

      Delete