Thursday, 7 July 2011

A to Z in 365 days: tick



Last night, exactly 365 days after I launched my alphabetical mission, I dished up the letter Z.  Today, after 4 hours' sleep and the lingering echo of last night's Zalze, Zinfandel and Zubrowka vodka still thudding behind my eyes, I can't quite believe it's all over. Well, almost. The mountain of dishes in the kitchen is suggesting otherwise. 

It has been an amazing year. It has been an exhausting year.  I can no longer fit into most of my clothes and I have never done as much washing up in my life, but none of that matters because I've had some of the best nights of my life doing this project and I have become a better cook in the process. Right now, with teary overtired eyes and a sprained knee, sitting on the sofa alone in the flat, I feel like hurling my fist into the air and screaming "I've done it! I've gone and bloody done it!" But I didn't quite do it alone. 

To the ever wonderful, hilarious, gorgeous and greedy love of my life, Richard: thank you. For food shopping, for DJ-ing, for photographing, for chopping, for stirring, for the best salad dressings known to humanity, for washing up, for reaching things on the top shelf, for dishing up, for ironing tablecloths and for bleaching the wine stains out of them afterwards, thank you. But mostly, for your unwavering support, your faith in me and your faith in this project, thank you. 

I'd also like to say a very special and heartfelt thanks to all my Alphabet Soupers who have gobbled up letters with me along the way. I really couldn't have done it without you and it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if I'd tried. You all rock!

And lastly, to you (that's right, YOU): thank you for reading. Without you I might as well have been shouting in the wind. Please keep coming back.

The write-ups will keep coming, but for now, here's a sneak preview of the menus from O to Z.

O
(Read Dolly Alderton's write-up of her O experience here)

Olympia cocktails with okra orbs
...
Oven baked oysters
...
Octopus carpaccio
...
Ox cheek olives
...
Oolong and orange rolled ostrich with oregano and oyster mushroom orzotto served with stuffed onions
...
Olive and chocolate fondants with olive oil ice cream
...
O cheeseboard with home made oatcakes
...
Orange truffles with organic coffee

P
Prosciutto wrapped prunes, potato patties topped with paprika Philadelphia, and pesto, parma ham and Pecorino palmiers
...
Pea and pancetta potage
...
Potted pheasant and partridge with plum pickle and poppyseed plait
...
Pigeon, parsley and porcini pelmeni
...
Pork belly with pumpkin puree, pickled pears, roast parsnips and a Port reduction
...
Passion fruit and pink peppercorn parfait stuffed pineapple parcels
...
Peach pannacotta with pomegranate and Prosecco jelly, passion fruit and pomegranate pavlova with pomegranate coulis
...
Pine nut praline truffles and chocolate dipped physalis

Q

Q cocktail (the name escapes me for now) and quesadillas
...
Scotch quails eggs
...
Qotban
...
Quince stuffed quail with quinoa
..
Queen of Puddings with a quenelle of Quark ice cream
...
Coffee and qumbe

R

Rusty nails with red pepper romesco rice rolls
...
Razor clams with remoulade, razor clam broth and radish and radicchio salad dressed in raspberry vinegar and rapeseed oil
...
Richard'd Roquefort and rocket risotto
...
Rabbit ragù ravioli
...
Rosemary crusted reindeer with a redcurrant reduction served with röstis and red cabbage
...
Rose petal jelly topped rose mousse
...
Raspberry and Ricotta roulade with roasted rhubarb, rhubarb sorbet and raspberry coulis
...
R cheeseboard with rye bread and raisin relish
...
Rum truffles

S
Singapore Slings with sweet and sour shrimp spring rolls
...
Scallops and crispy Serrano ham on puréed salsify and sorrel sauce
...
Smoked salt and Szechuan pepper squid with samphire salad with saffron mayonnaise
...
Succotash and socca bread
...
Sweetbreads and Sauerkraut
...
Seared steak sashimi with spring onions, soy and sesame
...
Squirrel, sage and Sherry stew with sautéed sweet potatoes and spinach
...
A shot of satsuma and Sauternes soup
...
Strawberry soufflé with strawberry semifreddo, strawberry sorbet and star shaped sablé biscuits
...
S cheeseboard of Serra De Estrela, Soureliette, Selles Sur Cher, Shropshire Blue and Stinking Bishop with sunflower seed soda bread scones
...
Coffee with star anise sponge sandwiches and spoonfuls of sea salt caramel

T
(Read James Ramsden's review of T night here)

Tequila Sunrise cocktails served with tofu tempura and a tamarind dipping sauce and tripe tempura triangles with tentsuyu
...
Turkey teriyaki
...
Trompette de la Mort and truffle tortellini
...
A taste of tomatoes:

Toffee cherry tomatoes, tomato tartare, tomato and Tabasco granita, clear tomato soup, tomato and thyme tarte tatin
...
Tongue, tail, testicle and tarragon terrine
...
Thyme stuffed teal with Tartiflette, turnips and tayberry sauce
...
T cheeseboard of Le Trefle, Tomme Au Mare, Terschelling, Taleggio and Tunworth, plus a few delicious extras, including another Tomme, kindly brought along by guest, Olly Crawley. 
...
A trio of traditional puddings: tirimisu, treacle tart and tangerine trifle all served with a dollop of toffee ice cream and toffee sauce
... 
Turkish coffee or tea with tahini truffles


TBC...

3 comments:

  1. Three of the best meals of my life. Three of the chunkiest hangovers. Exciting, magical, surprising and a little bit dangerous. I loved Alphabet Soup. What an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just worked out that replying shouldn't involve starting a new comment. I'm an idiot and a luddite, but I always reply (see below). I've just been doing it wrong :(

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Tom! It was a genuine pleasure to spend G, L and Y with you x

    ReplyDelete