Monday, 13 June 2011

N is for... Napa


Napa: front left
I can't pretend this is an authentic Asian dish, it's more that I felt, rightly so, that N night was sorely lacking vegetables and I have an unusual enthusiasm for cabbage. Now, I don't mean your boiled to death, sweaty sock smelling cabbage. I'm talking about cabbage that has been lightly steamed or fried, turned into kimchi or a single glorious cabbage leaf used as a pocket to hold in some delicious meaty filling. I'm talking about cabbage that has retained its nutritional value, without it running away in the water it's been boiled in, and which also retains a pleasing al dente texture. Napa cabbage is sometimes labelled as Chinese cabbage in supermarkets and is very pale in colour with a long rather than round shape. 

Napa

I very simply shredded the napa cabbage and fried it in a hot wok with a touch of crushed garlic and finely chopped chilli. Once it had started to soften I chucked in about a tablespoon of honey. Once the honey started to reduce and had fully coated the napa, I tossed over some toasted sesame seeds and drizzled the lot with sesame oil and a dash of soy. Bosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment