Friday, 6 May 2011

L is for... lemongrass and lavender lollipops


Tom "Davies" Wateracre enjoying his lollipop

I have to be honest, floral flavours just don't do it for me. Walking into Crabtree & Evelyn makes me think of bathtime not dinnertime, and my stomach has never even hinted at a rumble when walking past Lush. I associate lavender with those little pouches tied up with ribbon that you're grandmother gave you to stuff at the back of your knicker drawer. Lavender doesn't smell like food, it smells like soap. 

Although I have found like-minded folk, the majority of people I know love a hint of shower gel in their pudding. My friend Lily has often said that floral notes are her very favourite of all the notes, probably because she has a flower name. But if I had to pick my favourite note, it would probably be the ferric tone of a rare steak. I wish I liked floral food. There's something so pretty, so floaty, so delicate about it. Something so feminine and elegant. The flavours I most love bring to mind images of truck drivers and sweaty tattoos or gravy drips on beards.  But we are who we are and I am a red wine and red meat girl and the taste of lavender is wasted on me.  

I couldn't make it through to the end of my lolly and chucked it in the sink to melt away. In total contrast, my L night guests adored their lollipops and declared them to be "a real winner" and "deliciously refreshing". So, please, don't let my floral objections put you off trying these for yourself. If L night's feedback is anything to go by, you'll probably love them. Just please don't turn your hand to making them for me.

Lemongrass and lavender lollipops

2 sticks of lemongrass, chopped roughly
A generous bunch of fresh lavender or 1 tbsp of dried
1 pint of cold water
4 oz/ 100 g caster sugar

Place the water, lemongrass and lavender in a saucepan and bring it up to the boil. Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for a few minutes before taking the pan off the heat and leaving it to infuse for 5 minutes. Strain the liquid and pop it back in the pan with the sugar. Stir it over a gentle heat until the sugar has fully dissolved. Leave to cool completely before filling your ice lollipop holder set (I got mine from a weird knickknack shop for £1.50) three quarters of the way up. Pop in your sticks and leave in the freezer until solid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment