Wednesday, 4 May 2011

L is for... lambs liver loaf with lemon-dressed lambs lettuce



Not everyone enjoys the earthy depths of flavour that a juicy piece of liver affords. Even Richard, who (apart from fish) will eat just about anything, looks on in bewilderment if ever I order calves liver and bacon when we go out to dinner. I love the stuff and regardless of the fact that it is, essentially, cholesterol on a plate, I'm yet to be put off. Liver casserole and mash with green beans was a favourite winter warner of childhood and though I rarely eat it now, writing this blog has made we consider it making it for my dinner tonight. Mmmm.

Lambs liver loaf

1 lb, 2 oz/ 500 g lambs liver, finely chopped
10 oz/ 250 g minced lamb
8 rashers of smoked bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
A handful of flatleaf parsley, chopped
1 glass of red wine
8 oz/ 200 g soft breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper
A grating of nutmeg

Lemon-dressed lambs lettuce

2 bags of lambs lettuce
1 lemon, squeezed
A few glugs of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C Fan)

Simply mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Fry off a tiny amount in a pan to check for seasoning. Adjust accordingly and press the rest of the mixture in a buttered loaf tin or terrine. Pop it into a preheated oven for about an hour to an hour and a quarter. Let it cool a little before turning it out of its tin.

Slice the lambs liver loaf and serve with lambs lettuce dressed simply with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning.

2 comments:

  1. This is, to say the least, a selective view of the subject. I *suggested* liver loaf for Alphabet Soup, and the only reason I might 'look on in bewilderment' if you ordered it in a restaurant (which, to my recollection, has happened as much as zero times in the last three years or so) would be because it's a weird thing to choose *in a restaurant*, when steaks are frequently available.

    There, I've said it. I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ordered it. I just reminded you. You also just admitted to my very face that you don't much like liver. Therefore, my *selective* view of the subject seems far less so than you suggest. But you're right, I probably would usually order steak over liver, but sometimes I just fancy it.

    There, I've said it. I feel better.

    ReplyDelete