Tuesday, 4 January 2011

F is for... Fudge

I fondly remember family holidays to Cornwall as a child and stocking the boot up with boxes of Cornish fudge and Cornish Fairings to give as presents to friends when we returned. In an effort to make fudge that most closely resembled my memories of the sweet, soft and sticky fudge I ate as a child, I wanted to use clotted cream. I found a recipe by Matt Tebbutt on the Good Food Channel website and followed it, except I chose to use fresh vanilla instead of vanilla extract and didn't bother with the chocolate drizzle.

Fudge

Grease a 20 cm/ 8" square tin

Butter, for greasing
275g caster sugar 
100g golden syrup
225g clotted cream
The seeds from 1 fresh vanilla pod

Place all the ingredients in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cover for 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to boil until the mixture reached 115C on a sugar thermometer (My parents don't have one, so I guessed). Carefully pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl and leave to cool slightly. Whisk the mixture until the sugar crystallises - it should start to appear a little grainy in texture and turn from glossy to matte. Scrape the fudge out into your prepared tin and leave for half an hour or so to set slightly. Score with the tip of a knife into squares and leave the fudge to set completely before eating.

* As with the florentines, the fudge got scoffed before I had a chance to photograph it.


No comments:

Post a Comment