Monday, 15 November 2010

D is for... Douillons filled with Dolcelatte and damson & cobnut mincemeat stuffed pears

After dinner pastry with coffee

Douillons filled with Dolcelatte and damson & cobnut mincemeat stuffed pears



I found a recipe for douillons in Larousse Gastronomique, which describes them as a speciality of Normandy, consisting of an apple or pear wrapped in a pastry case and baked in the oven. My eyes lit up at pears as I adore them with Dolcelatte and felt certain douillons would be the perfect place for this pairing. Last Autumn my mum made damson and cobnut mincemeat which made by far the most delicious mince pies I have ever tasted. She didn't give me the recipe (but there are plenty of recipes online), but she did give me a kilner jar's worth and I have been very restrained all year and only opened it for the first time on D night for my douillons. I was planning on making my own pastry for these, but after 3 hours of rolling wonton skins, good quality shop bought puff seemed like a good compromise.

Preheat the oven to 190 C (170 C Fan)

Half a pear per person
Damson mincemeat (or any mincemeat you fancy)
Dolcelatte
Ready made all butter puff pastry
1 egg beaten with a splash of milk

Core enough small pears for half a pear per person. Place a small knob of butter in the cavity of each pear half, place on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Allow the pears to cool completely. Roll out your pastry and cut out squares of equal size. Place a pear half on each square and pop a teaspoon of mincemeat into the cavity and top with a small piece of Dolcelatte. Fold up the sides of the pastry and, using damp fingers, fold the corners upwards, stretching the pastry a little and sealing the sides and top. Draw lines on the pastry with the pointed tip of a knife, brush the douillons with an egg wash (beaten egg with a splash of milk) and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. They can be served hot, warm or cold. I served them cold and we washed them down with most of a bottle of Dalmore whisky - I felt excellent the next day (I didn't). 

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I have to say, these look interesting. I've often seen pears and dolcelatte cheese as a salad, but not in a pastry. I am really liking this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just worked out that replying shouldn't involve starting a new comment. I'm an idiot and a luddite, but I always reply (see below). I've just been doing it wrong :(

      Delete