Tuesday, 21 September 2010

C is for... Cinnamon, cardamom and cumin chocolate truffles

Chocolates and coffee

Cinnamon, cardamom and cumin chocolate truffles


I am a big fan of spiced chocolate and think the Aztecs were right on the money when they decided to combine chocolate with chilli and spice. Chilli would be a great addition to these truffles if the mood takes you, but I decided to leave the chilli out this time. I'd already included chilli in so many of my other courses, I thought I'd stick to fragrant rather than hot spice for these. I deliberately included cardamom in these truffles as one of my dinner guests, Lisa, is a particular fan of my white chocolate and cardamom cake and I thought the cardamom in these would be right up her street. I served these chocolates with a choice of either coffee or camomile tea.

125 g good quality dark chocolate
125 ml double cream
50 g light muscovado sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds, ground
2 tsp cumin seeds, dry toasted and ground
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
A pinch of salt
cocoa, sifted, for rolling

Roast the spices for 30 seconds in a dry frying pan and tip the spices on to a cold plate. Chop the chocolate into small, even pieces and place them in a medium sized mixing bowl. Place the cream and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and allow the cream to cool for 1 minute before pouring over your chopped chocolate. If you pour the boiling cream straight on without resting it, your ganache will split. Mix the chocolate and cream together with a balloon whisk until smooth and glossy. Stir in your toasted spices and salt and allow the ganache to cool to room temperature before covering with clingfilm and popping in the fridge for a couple of hours or until completely set. Remove from the fridge and use a teaspoon to scoop out even sized balls of ganache and then roll them between the palms of your hands to even out their shape. Roll the truffles in the cocoa and they are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment